Sunday, July 20, 2008

Adopted......poor little things!


Well.......although these little ones are beyond cute this is a sad story!!! Today when travelling home from the farm a mother duck decided to cross the road......right in front of me!!! She was slightly ahead of the ducklings leaving a gap betwwen them. In order for me to miss her, I would have had to hit them.....it was sickening........I knew the out come wasn't going to be good!!! I tried to get her between the tires, and miss the little ones to the left..........but my plan didn't work, I knew when I went over her she was under the vehicle(between the tires).

I turned around as quick as I could, went back to see what had happened. Sadly the mother, and one little one were hit(and of course killed), I'm guessing she tried to fly up when the vehicle was over top of her.

Okay, so now there are 7-8 little ducks running off the road, then back to their mother, then off to the side again........not pretty! I shuffled them off the road, and scooped them up in my hands all at once..........they are very small.

So I get them to my vehicle, and now what I have to open the door. So I set them down thinking I will just pick them up again, and get them inside. I get the door opened, and they start to scatter..........I managed to grab four, and get them inside........the others ran...........as I'm looking under the vehicle one falls out..........so now I only have 3 inside.

One runs to the left side of the road, and 3(or maybe 4)ran to the other side..........I was one step behind them, and could see them running in the grass........do you think I could catch them.............NO........I literally cannot believe how those little farts can run in the grass, and how hard it is to see them when they are in the tall grass!!!

I could hear pepping all over........to the left, to the right, behind me, in front of me..........crazy!!!

What the hell am I going to do............

So I decided to empty out a cloth bag I had, put the captured ones in it, and place the bag in the grass so they could peep to each other(thinking maybe they would come to the bag)!!! It worked(a bit), I could here them, see them now and again, and but couldn't catch them........man that was frustrating!

Being on and off the phone with Daryl trying to figure out to do, he thought maybe if I brought the mother duck to the place where the peeps were they might come to the her. So I went and got her out of the ditch, and set her, and bag of babies together near the peeping!! After about 5 minutes one did come, and I did capture it...............so now I have four!!!

After trying for 2 hours to catch 3(maybe 4)little ducks I decided it was time to give up........tough call!!!

By the time I left I couldn't here anymore peeping........not sure if they wandered away, or if they were exhausted and were laying down for a sleep.........either way I was done!!!!

They seem to be doing pretty good........I'm sure they are not more than a day or two old..........tiny, tiny.......sweet, sweet.......poor little things!!!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Oh Donna you are such a good soul! I can only imagine how sad you must have felt!

Can't wait to see more updates on how they are growing.

Corry said...

awe, that is sad but so sweet you worked so hard to save those ones....they are so adorable....what are you finding to feed them? will be curious how they do.

Jayme said...

Oh Donna!!! I just read this... can't even imagine. Hope the little birdies are doing well. Hope you are doing well... {hugs}