Thursday, January 18, 2007

WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT COKE DRUMS?

hopefully more than I do.........................all I know is they are HUGE!!!!

My last trip home from the farm I was thinking I might run into/meet this MONSTER on the highway!!!! Luckily for me I was travelling in the opposite direction, and the MONSTER had just turned onto highway going into Viking, and had just pulled over.................as I said, LUCKY ME!!

Just so happens I had my camera.............took my pictures and went on my merry way, with NO delay!!!!!

It's kind of hard to see in the picture but there are TWO semi trucks pulling...............

start counting..............320 wheels.............

and TWO semi truck pushing.......WOW!!!!



found the following on a website....

Here are few details on the size & journey of the COKE DRUMS!
Each vessel is 110 meters long, 10 meters in diameter, and weighs 416 Tonnes.
The trailer units have a total of 320 wheels!
Special hydraulic levelers were designed to keep the load stable as it went around banked corners and curves in the highway.
Average speed was about 10 km/hrWith 2 tractors pushing and 2 more pulling it took more than 10 days for the 500 km trip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What are they used for Aunty Donna?


Amanda