Thursday, December 06, 2007

25 topics for CHRISTMAS 2007-topic 24(my grandparents)

2. A memory post of my Grandparents(post is longer than planned) December 2nd

Please don't read it as sad..........it is just the opposite...........thinking of them makes me happy!

I am writing this to tell the world(okay, my small group of readers)how blessed I am to have had 4 GREAT Grandparents...........they were ALL a huge part of my life!!! Most of my readers are well aware of the impact my Grandparents had on my life............if that includes you........I hope you don't mind reading my ramblings once again!!!

One of the reasons I have so many GREAT memories of my Grandparents is that they lived close to each other, and they were friends!! That's pretty sweet for a Grandchild.......I can remember being together with all four of them on MANY occasions.......I LOVE THAT!!!

(I need to check on a few dates, please forgive me if I am off by a day or two on the ones I have mentioned here)

You might wonder what the connection is between my deceased Grandparents & Christmas? It is as such........3 of my 4 Grandparents died very close to Christmas.....my 2 Grandma's in Decemeber and 1 of my Grandpa's in early Jan.!
Grandma Erickson being the first passed away on Dec. 16th, and was buried on Dec. 19th(1992). While she was in the hospital, Grandpa(her husband of 62 years)was also admitted! Although Grandma was not aware of what was happening to Grandpa, poor Grandpa knew exactly what was happening with Grandma...........he so wanted to be by her side, but couldn't! The day after Grandma passed away, Grandpa was taken to Edmonton by ambulance. (as I write this, I think back and wonder how my Mom, and my 5 Aunts survived this sad time) Grandma's funeral was planned and carried out without Grandpa's input. Because he could not attend, a video was taken with the intention of family members watching it with him once he got back home. Long story short he was operated on Dec. 26th with the surgery proving he was full of cancer and had a very short time to live.......he died on Jan. 9th, 3 weeks after Grandma..........never getting to see the video of Grandma's funeral. Actually I'm not sure if anyone has ever watch it??? This is such a bitter sweet story........very hard on the family, but a perfect ending to their LONG HAPPY LIFE together!!!! They were and still are one of the best matches I know of..........side by side, day by day, for many many years.........they weren't just married............the were IN LOVE, ALWAYS!

Today is 4 years since Grandma Knapp passed away........sometimes it seems like yesterday, and other times if feels like a life time ago!!! Even today.....it is rare that a day passes and I don't think about her, so many things in my day to day life remind me of her!
So many times when I think of my Grandparents, Grandma Knapp takes on the better part of my thoughts. I often feel guilty about this because she was one of four......but somehow she comsumes most of my Grandparent thoughts!!! I have come to the conclusion that this happens for a couple of reasons......
1. She lived the longest, and therefore I spent the most time with her.......well into my adult life!
2. She was widowed for many years, and therefore I spent more one on one time with her!!!
3. Because my Grandpa & Grandma Erickson were together for so long, and apart for only 3 weeks, most of their time was with each other! This of course is a good thing, but there are not as many individual memories of them!!!!
4. She had a way about her, that drew people to her! MANY people thought the world of her, she was popular with the young and old, and everyone in between.........including me, of course!!!

Lastly, and of course not least was Grandpa Knapp. He has been gone the longest......and although his death wasn't as close to Christmas as the others, he was VERY ILL the Christmas before he died(in Oct.). It was decided by himself, and family members that he would travel to Mexico for some non traditional cancer treatments, and time was of the essence as he was VERY ILL. I can remember discussions about him leaving before Christmas, but he wouldn't have any part of it. Not sure what the reasoning was, but it was apparent, it was more important to him to be home for Christmas with family, than it was to be in Mexico for cancer treatments. Seems to me his departure was on Boxing day or very shortly after???
I have such good memories of Grandpa Knapp! He was the one that always made me feel special, never seemed to be annoyed with me, always had a smile for me, and he would go out of his way to do things for kids......I LOVE THAT!!

There..........now I feel all warm & fuzzy(as they say)........hope you are as lucky as I am, and have or had the BEST Grandparents in the world!!!

GOOD NIGHT!

No comments: